SeoBlog Blog Counter

Thursday, September 29, 2005

"The Stump Jump" for Joy?

Wine of the Week: d'Arenberg, The Stump Jump, South Australia, 2004

Varietals: Grenache (50%) / Shiraz (26%) / Mourvedre (24%)

Winemaker's Notes:

"The wine is dominated by voluminous, sweet fruit, mulberry, plum, spices, dark cherry fruits and hints of vanillin that carries right through the palate to the finish. The palate is savoury and dry, balanced with lovely fruit sweetness and subtle tannins and acidity that already make the wine a pleasure to drink now orcellar well for 2 to 5 years."

My Review:

I'm a fan of Rhone-style red wines. That is, I like wines based on these grape varietals: Syrah/Shiraz, Grenache, and Mourvedre. And, if you like value wines, I'm sure you've had a bottle or two of Shiraz/Syrah (which is sometimes blended with other "non-Rhone" varietals such as in Penfold's yummy Koononga Hill Shiraz/Cabernet Sauvignon). But, from time-to-time, I have a yearning for a more traditional Rhone experience: a true GSM blend (which tend to be subtler and lighter, yet no less sophisticated, in style).

That's why I was very excited to find d'Arenberg's "The Stump Jump" ($9.49 at Total Wine & More in Tampa, FL), a Rhone-style blend for the price of a typical "grocery store" Shiraz. On pouring a glass, I ogled this medium bodied wine's marvelous deep purplish color (indicative of a young, robust red). The wine's aroma (nose) was one of intense fruit tinged with a hint of spice. In the mouth, the vivid fruit flavors continued, but I found the wine to be a little astringent and somewhat unbalanced. (So much for "subtle" tannins.) The wine's reasonably lengthy finish (aftertaste) continued its fruit-filled tone, but it too seemed slightly out of harmony.

In all, d'Arenberg produced a respectable, young GSM. The wine is approachable now, but it's definitely a "with food" bottle. In fact, I'd only pair it with hearty dishes (such as Portobello mushroom "steaks"). That said, I think it would benefit from cellaring. And, bottle aging might overcome my "slightly unbalanced" impression of the wine. But, I'm forced to ask: do you really want to make a multi-year commitment to a bottle of wine that costs ten bucks? Right, neither do I.

Overall, this is a decent wine offered at a fair price. You could do far worse, but I think we can do better.

Quality/Value Ratio: $$$ (out of five $'s)

4 Comments:

  • Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my health net phone number
    related site. It pretty much covers health net phone number
    stuff. I guess you may find something of interest.

    By Blogger Tom Naka, at 10:46 PM  

  • Vous avez un blog très agréable et je l'aime, je vais placer un lien de retour à lui dans un de mon blogs qui égale votre contenu. Il peut prendre quelques jours mais je ferai besure pour poster un nouveau commentaire avec le lien arrière.

    Merci pour est un bon blogger.

    By Blogger Basket, at 7:16 PM  

  • Greetings,

    I Really think you have a great blog here, and see you have a very high page ranking, I found this info out from this page. http://pr.blogflux.com/ Try it out.



    I have several pages of my own,

    I'ts about femme Clothing. This site is in French language.
    My second site is about Chaussures that is Shoes in french and bottes that is boots in french.

    My Third site is about Chocolate that is made in France. The Frech language just drops to e at the end so it is chocolat

    By Blogger Thanks for you visit, at 9:07 PM  

  • Nice job on your blog! I am book marking your site for future reference.

    I have recently created a book gardening
    site/blog. It pretty much covers book gardening related stuff.

    Stop by and check it out if you have time.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home