SeoBlog Blog Counter

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Sometimes I forget about the vegans...

So I found this recipe for soy bechamel; use it to make the mac 'n sink recipe below (or anything else that might call for it) all veggie:

2 T soy margarine
2 T all-purpose flour
1 ½ c hot* soy milk

In a saucepan over medium heat, melt margarine until it bubbles. Add flour gradually, constantly stirring.

Cook for about three minutes, until mixture reaches a pale yellow color. Slowly stir in hot milk.

Stir constantly while bringing to boil; then remove from heat.

*Recipes for roux-based sauces always recommend the liquid you're adding be hot (be it milk, stock, whatever), but I never bother. Usually I just add the liquid slowly, cross my fingers, and whisk like the wind.

This is from a recipe for vegetarian lasagna from The Times-Picayune I found at NOLA.com.

Here's the full recipe.

Since we're talking about dietary restrictions, anybody know a gluten-free recipe for this?

3 Comments:

  • Thanks, Ashley. You rock. I'll let everyone know if I try this... I don't know about a gluten free option.

    By Blogger abby, at 5:14 PM  

  • What's funny is that I would be likely to make this half vegan, with soy milk and real butter. Ha!

    By Blogger jason, at 2:29 PM  

  • HALF vegan? *grin*

    By Blogger Ashley, at 7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home