SeoBlog Blog Counter

Friday, July 14, 2006

Shepherd's Pie

I have been getting pressure from various quarters to post my, dare I say infamous, vegetarian adaptation of shepherd's pie that I came up with one stress filled evening while reading for my master's exam. It turned out better than I expected so here is the recipe. Please note that I have constructed it to be light in calories and it was damn good, though I'm sure full fat substitutions could be made.

Shepherd's Pie Sans Sheep

Ingredients:
3 large potatoes
6 Tbsp fat-free sour cream
1 1/2 Tbsp Fleischmann's Light Soft Spread
1/4 tsp table salt
1 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 cup onions
3 medium carrots
3 medium celery stalks
24 oz Yves Veggie Cuisine Veggie Ground Round, Original
4 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1 1/2 tsp ground thyme
3/4 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 cup vegetable broth
11 oz frozen corn kernels

Instructions:

*Preheat oven to 400ºF.
*Place potatoes in a large saucepan and pour in enough water to cover potatoes. Set pan over high heat and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer 10 minutes, until potatoes are fork-tender. Drain potatoes, transfer to a large bowl and add sour cream and margarine; mash until smooth, season to taste with salt and set aside.
*Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots and celery; cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add veggie crumbles and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add flour, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper; stir to coat. Add broth and bring to a simmer; simmer until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.
*Transfer "meat" mixture to a 9-inch, deep-dish pie plate. Spread mashed potatoes over top and using the back of a spoon, make decorative swirls over the top.
*Bake until potatoes are golden, about 30 minutes. Slice into 9 pieces and serve.

Enjoy! And please don't forget that original credits go to Ms. Betty Crocker, who provided the recipe that I adapted.

3 Comments:

  • WOOT! I will be making this as soon as I get home. Thanks, LAR!

    By Blogger abby, at 2:26 PM  

  • sounds awesome. i will, of course, have to eat it with a side of bacon, to meet my DMI (daily meat intake) requirements. heh. oh, what would you do without me, the token meat eater?

    By Blogger Ashley, at 6:12 PM  

  • where do you get that particular kind of fake meat?

    By Blogger abby, at 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home