SeoBlog Blog Counter

Thursday, August 14, 2008

2008 Columbus Summer Chili-Dog Challenge!

Let me start off by saying that I am still, conceptually speaking, working to restrict my caloric intake this summer, and so far the bathroom scale is mostly moving in the right direction. That said, I couldn't let the implicit challenge embodied in a cover story in Columbus Alive a few weeks back go unanswered: "Dog Days," a parade of local eateries, high- and low-brow, that serve the best wiener-fare this fair city has to offer. I've made it a point to hit all of these joints--yes, even the vegan hotdog cart downtown--in order to have the full chili-dog experience.

So far, I've made it to two destinations: Wholly Joe's (in the Polaris area) and Press Grill (Sho'No'). Both of these places I've been to before, but in my opinion, it's necessary to revisit them to remind the palate what good chili-dogs taste like. This far into it, I've made a realization: I'm no food critic, at least when it comes to chili-dogs. I've rarely met one I didn't like, and even then, I'd still be hard pressed NOT to eat it. Both dogs were good, but for different reasons (poppy seed bun vs. split-top toasted white bun; coney sauce versus hearty black bean chili, stadium mustard versus classic yellow). *sigh* The task set before me is a daunting one, indeed... Pity me, dear readers.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • Are you still doing this? My vote is for Best of the Wurst at North Market. I have to admit, though, that I always go for the California Dog because I'm a sucker for guacamole.

    By Anonymous Kate, at 2:06 PM  

  • i'm still in it to win it! i've even gone off the reservation a bit to other establishments, and so far, so good.

    By Blogger iLLiaC, at 12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home