SeoBlog Blog Counter

Sunday, August 09, 2009

Raw Brussels Sprouts Salad

I've seen so many blogs mention this salad lately, in some form or another, that I just had to try it, especially when I spotted some fresh baby brussels sprouts from Northridge Organic at the farmers market yesterday. I'm happy to say it did not disappoint...

The recipe, courtesy of the lovely Ms. O:
Raw Brussels Sprout Salad with Almonds and Parmesan
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup slivered almonds
  • 2 pounds Brussels sprouts
  • 1/4 cup olive oil or 3 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon truffle oil
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons finely sliced chives
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350°. Place almonds on baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside to cool. Meanwhile, slice Brussels sprouts as thinly as possible. In large bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, chives, salt and pepper. Add Brussels sprouts, almonds and Parmesan cheese. Toss until combined.

I found that it needed 15 minutes in the fridge after mixing, to let the lemon juice work on the sprouts a bit. Also, if you have a mandoline, it makes quick work of the slicing operation.

This got a solid "It's alright" from Ben, sworn enemy of all things Brussels or Sprout.

5 Comments:

  • I love brussels sprouts! I have often considered making a salad like this one but they are so tasty simply roasted that I never make it to a new application. Perhaps the time is now. I may slice with the Cuisinart instead of the mandolin. The mandolin seems dangerous for such wee veg.

    By Blogger abby, at 3:16 PM  

  • The danger factor is there for sure. You gotta watch the wee tips o' the fingers with this one. It's definitely worth a try, though. The yummy sprouty flavor shines through!

    And btw, this recipe makes a huge amount ... forgot to mention I cut it in half.

    By Blogger Ashley, at 10:20 PM  

  • Amazing! I had all these ingredients right in the fridge. Although I love brussel sprouts cooked, I was afraid that they would be too strong raw. But they are really quite mild, especially in this recipe. I had no trouble with the mandolin - after soaking, I just held the brussel sprouts by their uncut stem and sliced carefully.

    I really thought that, after trying, this salad needed just a hind of something sweet. I didn't have honey on hand, so I threw in one box of raisins (I had about halved the recipe). Stuffed it in a warm pita and wala! A delicious dinner.

    By Blogger Pwnie, at 10:27 PM  

  • I love Brussels Sprouts but I’ve never really had them “raw” until now. I love your recipe but I also want to share mine with you – my recipe is so simple but SOOO good!!! http://cuceesprouts.com/2010/09/shaved-brussels-sprouts-salad/

    By Anonymous Cucee Sprouts, at 7:24 PM  

  • Yummy looking raw brussels sprout salad with almonds and parmesan and except brussels sprouts found all the ingredients in stock. Will share my reviews later.

    By Anonymous san antonio personal trainer, at 2:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home