SeoBlog Blog Counter

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Are Farmers' Markets expensive?

When I got home from the Worthington Farmers' Market this morning I laid out all my goodies and started thinking about how much everything cost, and not in the "Wow, this stuff is expensive" way, but in the "Hey, I think I did pretty good today" way.

So I started browsing around online for some Farmers' Market vs. grocery store comparisons, and I found this great post, which confirmed my suspicions: that the Farmers' Market can actually be a great value, not the overpriced, elitist, yuppie paradise that many (including my own family and most of my coworkers) think it is. As is turns out, the 100% organic, locally grown food below was a bargain at $15.


















1 lb. broccoli
2 lb. heirloom tomatoes
1 lb. boneless pork
8 oz. garlic & herb cheese
4 (huge!) ears sweet corn

The meat and cheese were the big ticket items, and they comprised about 2/3 of the total cost. Still pretty good, I think...thoughts?

3 Comments:

  • I agree with you. Plus the food almost always tastes better, which cannot be compromised. At the Hamilton Farmer's Market last week I bought 1 lb. baby white potatoes ($1.25), two big orange tomatoes ($?), a good-sized basket of awesome cherry tomatoes ($1.50), one lb. green beans ($1), and two bunches of zinnias ($2 each). I believe I spent about $8/9. Oh, I got a jar of strawberry jam too.

    Also, even though I kind of grew my own tomatoes this year (yield four so far) I always buy tomatoes from a guy on highway 27 who just keeps a table-full and a scale in his front yard. His standard price is $1/lb and they are the best tomatoes.

    By Blogger abby, at 4:14 PM  

  • This has been the case in Misery. The crap in the grocery store is over-ripe and too wet, not to mention how over-priced it is. The organic stuff at the farmer's market is cheaper overall and way better tasting.

    By Blogger comoprozac, at 11:35 AM  

  • This is soooo true. My sense is that farmer's markets are usually cheaper than the grocery. Sure, organic produce at the farmer's market is not super-cheap, but it almost always costs less than the organic stuff at the whole foods (and it tastes a lot better too!). And, if you are willing to buy nonorganic produce in high season (like now), you can eat incredibly cheaply from the farmers market (spending much less than you would at the kroger or eagle or whatnot).

    By Blogger jason, at 8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home