SeoBlog Blog Counter

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

(Trans)Snickerdoodles--a new twist on a classic treat

Because I love my Gender and Sexuality Theory students so much, I made them cookies to eat while we watched a film in class today. First I made the vegans Fudge and Peanutbutter no-bake cookies. These tasted pretty good but reminded me just a little too much of the uber-healthy cookies my mother used to place in my lunch as a child. However, I also made Snickerdoodles-- the perfect autumn treat! There is something about the cinnamon that warms you up on a blustery day. As I was looking at the recipe I thought, how can I really spice these up? Well, the last stage of snickerdoodle making you roll the cookie dough in cinnamon and sugar and I thought what if I add some cayenne pepper? It was a FANTASTIC idea! The cookies had a bite to them like little redhots, but of course the cookies were merely subtly sweet and pleasantsly spicy. Although I did not try it in this batch, I think adding a little unsweetened cocoa to the cinnamon, sugar, cayenne pepper mixture would make really yummy Mexican hot chocolate cookies.

Here is the recipe I made last night:
3.75 cups of flour
.5 tsp baking soda
.5 tsp salt
.5 tsp. cream of tartar
1 cup butter (although I used .5 butter and .5 vegan margarine)
1.5 cups sugar
2 eggs
.25 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
3 TBS sugar
1.5 tsp cinnamon
.5 tsp cayanne pepper (you can add more or less depending on how hot you want-- I was conservative because well, my students have Missouri palates)

Preheat the oven to 375. Use a non-stick cookie sheet or a silpat sheet or grease a regular cookie sheet. Stir together the flour, soda, cream of tartar, and salt. In a separate bowl beat butter for 30 seconds. Add the sugar and beat until fluffy. Add eggs, milk, and vanilla; beat well. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and combine until a dough is formed. Out of the dough, create one inch balls and roll them in the sugar, cinnamon, and cayanne pepper. Place one inch apart of the cookie sheet and flatten slightly with the palm of your hand or a spatula. Bake for about 8 minutes. Allow to cool on a rack about five minutes. Enjoy!

2 Comments:

  • damn! you're a brilliant cookie genius. i'm going to try this right away. did you use the kitchenaid mixer to make the cookies? what have you made with the lovely mixer?

    By Blogger abby, at 10:01 PM  

  • i wish you were my teacher!! i, too, have recently discovered the deliciously-ness of cayenne pepper mixed with sweet stuff - especially chocolate. in fact, i just made a double batch of Alton Brown's hot cocoa mix - with a dash of cayenne (and 1/2 sugar, 1/2 spenda, for my girlish figure). it's soooo good and chocolatey-spicy-yummy.

    By Blogger Ashley, at 11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home