I've seen so many blogs mention this salad lately, in some form or another, that I just had to try it, especially when I spotted some fresh baby brussels sprouts from Northridge Organic at the farmers market yesterday. I'm happy to say it did not disappoint
The recipe, courtesy of the lovely Ms. O
Raw Brussels Sprout Salad with Almonds and Parmesan
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup olive oil or 3 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon truffle oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350°. Place almonds on baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside to cool. Meanwhile, slice Brussels sprouts as thinly as possible. In large bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, chives, salt and pepper. Add Brussels sprouts, almonds and Parmesan cheese. Toss until combined.
I found that it needed 15 minutes in the fridge after mixing, to let the lemon juice work on the sprouts a bit. Also, if you have a mandoline, it makes quick work of the slicing operation.
This got a solid "It's alright" from Ben, sworn enemy of all things Brussels or Sprout.